xc Worm Farming: Trouble at the mill...

Friday, June 09, 2006

Trouble at the mill...

Oh dear, things are not as they should be in the wormery. The bottom two levels have sort of stagnated, they are a rotting mass of organic material, the worms haven't composted them. There aren't any worms to be seen in these two layers.

The large clump of worms that I 'migrated' from the top layer to the bottom layer stayed in a big clump and.............this is terrible I'm afraid but they actually..............melted!

Feeling very disheartened I telephoned Wiggley Wigglers and was very fortunate in that Heather Gorringe picked up the phone. She spent a long time discussing the situation and feels that all is not beyond hope. While there are very few worms left in the wormery, there will aparently be lots of eggs and the wormery should repopulate. I have aerated both lower layers and will now leave the wormery for 10 days to 'recover'. It seems that I emptied the lowest layer too early. If there were lots of worms in there, then this is probably where they wanted to be and I was too hasty in moving things on.

So, will stop adding to the wormery for the next 10 days and see how things are looking then.

5 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Your wormery has gone the same way that mine went earlier this year. I sent an email to wriggly wormers for advice, but after not hearing anything and getting a response from someone else, I decided to start all over again. I buried the soggy and putrid remains (underneath my runner beans, hoping it might do some good!) and purchased some more worms. I couldn't get any coir fibre so used peat compost as bedding. I decided I wouldn't rush things this time and instead of adding all my kitchen waste, I put some in the compost heap as well as the wormery. I have now had this going for about 6 months and every thing seems to be going well. I have had some compost from it which I used to grow a tomato plant in and which is coming on well. It was interesting reading about your worm pee. With my first lot I was getting a huge amount of liquid which I wasn't sure was pee or rain. This time, I made a rain cover from an old rain coat and have not yet produced any amount of liquid (though it has been moist in the bottom) until yesterday when I forgot to put the cover on when we had a storm. When I checked later, I removed a jug of liquid plus (a first for this time around) some drowned worms. I also check the bottom regularly to retrieve stray worms to prevent the possibility of them drowning.

Your comment about the 'melted' worms were exactly like how mine were.

Another thing I have been doing this time, is adding lots more cardboard and newspaper to keep the contents drier.

Hope this helps!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger wouldbesmallholder said...

Hi lynne,
Thanks for your comments, glad to hear I'm not the only one to melt worms! Am encouraged by your subsequent success and will take on board what you say about cardboard and newspaper.

I'm puzzled about worm wee too, I have always had a rain cover on the wormery but there is definitely more 'wee' when it rains.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Amanda

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger wouldbesmallholder said...

Hi lynne,
Thanks for your comments, glad to hear I'm not the only one to melt worms! Am encouraged by your subsequent success and will take on board what you say about cardboard and newspaper.

I'm puzzled about worm wee too, I have always had a rain cover on the wormery but there is definitely more 'wee' when it rains.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Amanda

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home